How to Hire Gear
Contact your Trip Leader or Gear Store Manager. The gear store is open once a week, times advertised by the email list. They are not obliged to open it at any other times. The Gear Store is located inside the sports center opposite the entrance to pool change rooms. If you are unsure, please ask.
NOTE: You must return the gear to the club (not the sports centre front desk). Failure to abide by any of these rules may result in your deposit not being returned and being banned from hiring gear in the future
Hire rules for general gear:
0.0 Gear cannot be booked in advance. It is available on first in best dressed basis upon gear store opening.
0 $20 deposit required for hire of 1 set of gear (eg. you want to hire 3 sleeping bags for a weekend- Hire fee= $15 + $60 deposit). Please try and have correct change.
1. Members only, if you are not a member you must sign up first.
2. No LUMC member may hire club equipment for another person (1 set of gear pp.)
3. You must pay upfront
4. There is an ATM on campus - please visit it before coming to the gear store!
5. Any gear damage, existing or otherwise, must be reported.
6. Only authorized people on the key list may access the gear store.
7. Any leader running a beginner trip is entitled to free gear hire, in any section. Free gear hire applies to nobody else.
8. Make sure all hired gear is returned in good condition (& dry!) and on time
9. If an item is damaged during its responsible use, you will not be charged a replacement/repair fee (at discretion of trip leaders/gear store manager) Be sure to inform the committee member opening gear store of any damaged or missing items before hiring or on return.
10. All hires will be recorded in the hiring book, whether at a cost or not.
11. Late returns will result in the hiring member paying extra to cover the period the gear is overdue.
12. No LUMC gear is to be taken overseas.
13. Only Trip leaders are allowed to reserve gear required to run their own trips. All other gear is available on first in, first served basis. Club trips have priority over gear for personal use. Hire of Climbing, Caving and Kayaking gear for personal use requires approval from the activity convenor
14. The Gear Hire Officer reserves the ultimate right to refuse hire, determine fees owed, and coordinate the operation of the LUMC Gear store at his or her discretion.
15. Trip leaders reserve the right to insist hire of gear if deemed necessary for the trip eg. hire a suitable bushwalking pack, or raincoat.
16. The club accepts no responsibility for ensuring the safety or quality of the equipment. This is the responsibility of the hiring member
LUMC has a library of books and magazines which is kept in the gearstore, and is freely available to all members. Books can be checked out like other gear (with a deposit paid) however there is no hire fee. It is asked that guidebooks such as the Arapiles Selected Climbs not be checked out for extended periods of time as they need to be available for organised trips.
Weekend – Hire Thursday return by Tuesday
Week-Hire - return same day following week.
Deposit required for all loans No deposit, no hire (this will be returned to you when you return the gear clean dry and on time)
|Item||Day Price||Weekend Price||Week Price|
|3 person tent||-||$10||$15|
|GPS ($50 Deposit required)||$5||$10||$15|
|All other camping gear listed below is capped at $5/$10/$15 (day/weekend/week)|
|Hiking Pack (varying sizes)||-||$5||$10|
|Sleeping bag (Please use and wash liner provided)||-||$5||$10|
|Sleeping mat (compressed foam)||-||$3||$5|
|Car- camping stove inc. fuel||-||$5||$15|
|Trangia (hiking stove and pots) (Use only Methylated Spirits)||-||$5||$10|
|Fuel for Trangia $2/L|
|Headtorch (provide own batteries)||$3||$5||$10|
|Compass + Whistle||$2||$3||$4|
|Camping cups, bowls etc||$1||$2||$3|
|MTB + Helmet ($50 deposit required)||$10||$15||$25|
|Bike rack (no towbar required, fits 3 bikes)||$5||$10||$15|
|Outdoors equiptment - general hire please ask|
|Outdoors- Club trip||$10||$15||$25|
|Snowshoes (or +$5 with hire of skis)||$10||$15||$25|
|Caving Helmet and Headtorch||$10||$15||$20|
|Other equipment (ladders, ascenders etc.) please ask|
|Kayak/raft, helmet, deck, paddle, PFD||$10||$15||$25|
|Heavy duty stove||$5||$10||$25|
|Water Carrier (20L or 25L)||$1||$2||$5|
|PLB- for club trips to remote locations||Free||Free||Free|
|PLB - personal trips to remote locations (under special circumstances only)||$20||$30||$40|