How to Hire Gear
** Good news! Our gear store ceiling has been repaired - see below for more info on opening times. **
Contact your Trip Leader or Gear Store Manager. The gear store is open once a week, times advertised by the email list if there is an opening planned. Tuesday evenings prior to Indoor Kayaking are generally the most reliable time to ask someone if they can open it (ie be organised!). Over Summer the gear store will be open on an ad-hoc basis. Most of our volunteers will be out adventuring so please ask as far in advance as possible to increase chances of someone being able to help you out! We will make an extra effort to ensure gear store is opened for any club trips
NOTE: You must return the gear to the club (not the sports centre front desk). Failure to abide by any of these rules may result in your deposit not being returned and being banned from hiring gear in the future
Hire rules for general gear:
0.0 Gear cannot be booked in advance. It is available on first in best dressed basis upon gear store opening.
0 $20 deposit required for hire of 1 set of gear (eg. you want to hire 3 sleeping bags for a weekend- Hire fee= $15 + $60 deposit). Please try and have correct change.
1. Members only, if you are not a member you must sign up first.
2. No LUMC member may hire club equipment for another person (1 set of gear pp.)
3. You must pay upfront
4. There is an ATM on campus - please visit it before coming to the gear store!
5. Any gear damage, existing or otherwise, must be reported.
6. Only authorized people on the key list may access the gear store.
7. Any leader running a beginner trip is entitled to free gear hire, in any section. Free gear hire applies to nobody else.
8. Make sure all hired gear is returned in good condition (& dry!) and on time
9. If an item is damaged during its responsible use, you will not be charged a replacement/repair fee (at discretion of trip leaders/gear store manager) Be sure to inform the committee member opening gear store of any damaged or missing items before hiring or on return.
10. All hires will be recorded in the hiring book, whether at a cost or not.
11. Late returns will result in the hiring member paying extra to cover the period the gear is overdue.
12. No LUMC gear is to be taken overseas.
13. Only Trip leaders are allowed to reserve gear required to run their own trips. All other gear is available on first in, first served basis. Club trips have priority over gear for personal use. Hire of Climbing, Caving and Kayaking and Ski gear for personal use requires approval from the activity convenor. If you haven't been actively involved in the sport within the club (recently) and demonstrated safe use and care for the equipment, the answer will be no.
14. The Gear Hire Officer reserves the ultimate right to refuse hire, determine fees owed, and coordinate the operation of the LUMC Gear store at his or her discretion.
15. Trip leaders reserve the right to insist hire of gear if deemed necessary for the trip eg. hire a suitable bushwalking pack, or raincoat.
16. The club accepts no responsibility for ensuring the safety or quality of the equipment. This is the responsibility of the hiring member
These Terms and Conditions form the Gear hire policy for LUMC
LUMC has a library of books and magazines which is kept in the gearstore, and is freely available to all members. Books can be checked out like other gear (with a deposit paid) however there is no hire fee. It is asked that guidebooks such as the Arapiles Selected Climbs not be checked out for extended periods of time as they need to be available for organised trips.
Weekend – Hire Thursday return by Tuesday
Week-Hire - return same day following week.
Deposit required for all loans No deposit, no hire (this will be returned to you when you return the gear clean dry and on time)
|Item||Day Price||Weekend Price||Week Price|
|3 person tent (general camping tents)||-||$10||$15|
|GPS ($50 Deposit required)||$5||$10||$15|
|Hiking/snow tent (only hired out for hiking or snowcamping||-||$15||$20|
|All other camping gear listed below is capped at $5/$10/$15 (day/weekend/week)|
|Hiking Pack (varying sizes)||-||$5||$10|
|Sleeping bag (Must use your own liner, you can buy one from us for extra $10)||-||$5||$10|
|Sleeping mat (compressed foam)||-||$3||$5|
|Car- camping gas canaster stove||-||$5||$15|
|Trangia (hiking stove and pots) (Use only Methylated Spirits)||-||$5||$10|
|Fuel for Trangia $2/L|
|Headtorch (provide own batteries)||$3||$5||$10|
|Compass + Whistle||$2||$3||$4|
|Camping cups, bowls etc (haphazard supply)||$1||$2||$3|
|MTB + Helmet ($50 deposit required)||$10||$15||$25|
|Bike rack (no towbar required, fits 3 bikes)||$5||$10||$15|
|Outdoors equipment - general hire please ask|
|Outdoors- Club trip||$10||$15||$25|
|Snowshoes (or +$5 with hire of skis)||$10||$15||$25|
|Caving Helmet and Headtorch||$10||$15||$20|
|Other equipment (ladders, ascenders etc.) please ask|
|Kayak/raft (per person), helmet, deck, paddle, PFD||$10||$15||$25|
|Raft helmet, paddle, PFD||$50||$75||$125|
|Heavy duty stove||$5||$10||$25|
|Water Carrier (20L or 25L)||$1||$2||$5|
|PLB- for club trips to remote locations||Free||Free||Free|
|PLB - personal trips to remote locations (under special circumstances only)||$20||$30||$40|
|Gear for sale - from time to time the club has gear for sale|
|New Foam Mats||$5|
|New Sleeping bag liners||$10|
|LUMC T-shirts (limited sizes)||$15|
Retirement of equipment
The club monitors and replaces equipment as required (assistance always appreciated!). Disposal of old equipment follows the following guidelines
- If the gear has an end of life date it is disposed of appropriately and will not be offered to members
- If gear can be repurposed for another activity within the club this should be done (eg torn foam mats cut for snow camping pads)
- In some situations where gear is still serviceable it is first disposal method is sale with members first priority.
- If it has no resale value then advertised as available to pick up for members as priority or will be binned/given to charity.
- Gear may be advertised to the general outdoors community if there is no interest from the membership
- Income from sale of old gear will be used for purchasing new equipment