Membership of the La Trobe University Mountaineering Club (LUMC) is open to anyone who supports the purposes of the club (see below), though the majority of members are either students, staff or alumni of the university. A limited number of memberships are available for non-university affiliated people as the club is required to retain a high % of members which are university community - Priority for non-university affiliated people will be those who contribute substantially to the club
The annual membership fee for LaTrobe Students is $30 a year which is valid for the full membership year 1 Feb 2017- 31 Jan 2018. A slightly discounted pro-rata membership is available and will be available online from July.
The key feature of joining LUMC is participating in the activity of your interest. Such participation is normally on a club trip, sometimes these are single day trips, a week, even month long club trips occur occasionally. Enthusiastic members are encouraged to ask questions and gain the necessary skills to run their own trips.
Becoming a member of LUMC also means you are covered under La Trobe University's Sports Centre's accident insurance, on all club trips.
We now have online membership applications!
We have a strong preference you sign up online but you can come have a chat to us and signup in person (or online on your phone!) at the Sports Center BBQ during O-Week at 12-3 Wednesday 22 Feb or attend any of the Club Meetings during the year. Most Tuesday nights, there will be members at the Sports Center Pool for an informal meeting and indoor kayaking; The committee has a strong preference for you to sign up online if you can and then come along to a meeting to collect your membership card so you can receive club discounts. You can also contact committee members to inquire about joining (see Committee).
Once a member of LUMC you will be notified about upcoming trips via email, can come along on virtually any club trip, from bushwalking right through to kayaking and rock climbing. Membership also gives you access to the hire of club gear at extremely cheap rates, useful for club and personal trips alike. (See Gear Hire.)
The Purposes of LUMC are as follows
(1) To facilitate the involvement of the La Trobe University community in sport.
(2) Provide a friendly, social and affordable environment that encourages the enjoyment of, and participation in outdoor adventure sports
(3) To introduce people to outdoor adventure sports and advocate for and support outdoor adventure sports in the broader community
(4) Actively foster an inclusive environment that encourages advancement of technical, organizational and leadership skills and provides opportunity to increase the confidence of all club members
(5) To encourage an appreciation and respect of the natural environment
By joining the club all members agree that they will follow the club rules (constitution)