Indoor Kayaking sessions will be running all year (unless notified via email otherwise) starting Tuesday 7 Feb 2017 and the last session currently planned for Tuesday 27 November 2017
You MUST be a 2017 club member to be attending our pool sessions (La Trobe Uni Students may attend 1 session to see if its for you, but after that you will need to sign up.) All others MUST sign up for membership prior to attending a pool session. We have a strong preference for you to sign up online rather than a paper form!
Please note - our primary membership audience is La Trobe students, alumni and staff, with others accepted for membership is they demonstrate they will be a valuable addition to the lcub.
Paddling skills and rolling practice is held Tuesday nights from 8:00 pm to 10:00 in the Sports Center Pool at our pool sessions. So if you are a new club member who wants to learn which side of a boat is up or are an old hand who wants some practice just turn up Pool sessions are free for members, or your first time! At the beginning of semester, these sessions can be busy, so please be patient! There is no need to register your interest for pool sessions, just turn up at the pool on Tuesday nights.
What do I need?
- Yourself (You MUST be able to swim!)
- Bathers and towel
What skills will I learn?
- How to do a wet exit (fall out)
- Practise paddling in a straight line
- How to do a "Buddy roll"
- Various kayak rolls (most people take a lot of practise to learn some of these)
- Once you have been to a few pool sessions, you may want to think about going for a trip on the river. Keep your eyes out for upcoming trips - or help organise one! - We often have leaders willing to go out paddling so long as someone else organises it, so ask around and see if someone will run the technical part of a trip if you do some of the organising!
Where is the pool?
To get to the pool, enter the sports centre, turn left at front desk, head out the double glass doors (yes you will be outside) and up the ramp to the pool. Please enter this way through the front of the sports centre - sports centre staff need to monitor how many people are in the building.
At the end of the night, if it is after 10 DO NOT exit this way (you will be locked in!) go out the back door between the kayaks and the paddle rack and walk around