Pumpkin, Baby Spinach and Pine Nut Risotto
*not tested on a Trangia, cooking time will vary with manliness of stove
- Brown Onion - large
- Pumpkin – decent bit
- Baby Spinach – whole bag
- Pine Nuts
- Half a lemon
- White wine – however much you can spare, ideally about 1/3 bottle
- Arborio rice – depends how hungry you are, about 3-4 cups
- Vegetable stock – about a litre
- Olive oil or butter for frying - ample
- Parmesan cheese – at least a whole bag
- Toast pine nuts until golden brown and set aside (out of reach!)
- Cut pumpkin into thinnish chunks. Put in a saucepan/frypan with a little bit of water, and place on stove with the lid on.
- Once starting to soften, remove pumpkin from heat and drain water.
- Return pumpkin to stove and add olive oil and fry until cooked through. Remove from stove and set aside.
- Heat oil in the largest pot you have access to. (5L+)
- Dice onion, add to pot, and fry until translucent.
- Add rice and fry until all heated through (this is important).
- When onion threatens to burn, add white wine and burn off the alcohol.
- When wine is mostly absorbed, begin to add vegetable stock.
- Throw in the half lemon and continue to add vegie stock a little bit at a time (the surface of the rice should be just covered with each addition).
- When you run out of vegie stock, continue to add water in the same manner.
- When the rice is almost cooked, stir the baby spinach through.
- When you’ve squished all the spinach in the pot, stir in the pumpkin and pine nuts.
- Add all the cheese and stir through.
- Let sit for a few minutes if possible.
- Dig in!